Monday, March 18, 2013
The fie occurred Saturday evening.
A chimney fire ignited on Osgood Street Saturday night. Firefighters were called to the home at about 6 p.m. Saturday, for what was thought to be an attic fire. Itturned out to be a chimney fire, and firefighters knocked down walls to prevent it from spreading to the rest of the house. North Andover Fire Chief Andrew Melnikas said the damage was "moderate." There were no injuries reported. Here are some tips for preventing chimney fires: 1. Each year, as temperatures drop in the fall, have your chimney thoroughly inspected by a licensed professional. Make sure there are no holes or cracks in the flu. If the chimney is in good condition when a chimney fire ignites, Melnikas said, then the fire can burn out without the walls igniting. "If …
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Lola fell through ice, and NAFD came to the rescue.
There's one local canine who likely won't soon forget the North Andover Fire Department. Lola, a 9-year-old labrador/Rottweiler mix, fell through the ice into a pond off Berry Street Tuesday, WHDH is reporting. Firefighters Kris Jenkins and Jeff Judge rushed to the rescue and pulled Lola out to safety. Lola is reportedly doing well. Check out the full story with video here.
Friday, February 1, 2013
North Andover honors public safety.
North Andover Police and Fire Department honored heroes within their ranks at the annual Exchange Club Public Safety Awards Banquet Wednesday night. North Andover had two winners for Officer of the Year. Police Chief Paul Gallagher selected Det. Robert Barter and Officer William Lynch for their efforts in a chase last year. Last June, a Maine man robbed the TD Bank on Andover Street and fled in his truck up I-495. Barter and Lynch pursued him -- first through North Andover up Route 125 northbound and then toward New Hampshire on 495 -- and helped in his capture near the New Hampshire border. Firefighter of the Year, selected by Fire Chief Andrew Melnikas, is Lt. William McCarthy. McCarthy was chosen for his years in fire safety instruction.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
The family living in the home is safe.
A fire raged through part of a home on Wood Lane Wednesday afternoon, leaving humans and pets with smoke inhalation and without a place to sleep. The fire broke out just after 2 p.m. in the home's garage. Firefighters rushed to the scene and saw flames coming out of a window. Fire Departments from Andover, Lawrence and Middleton helped with the blaze. There were three people in the home, including two grandparents who were treated for smoke inhalation. A cat named Moosha was also treated with a special oxygen mask for smoke inhalation. Fire Department Chief Andrew Melnikas said the house is not inhabitable now. The family have other cats unaccounted for, but those cats have been found, Melnikas said. The room behind the garage sustained …
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
The town may have just become even safer.
Three new police officers became official as they were sworn in at the Board of Selectmen meeting Monday night at Town Hall. And a firefighter was promoted. Police officers Steven Corr, Brian Faye and Michael Reardon were joined by Police Chief Paul Gallagher as they swore an oath to protect and serve the community. Firefighter Graham Rowe was promoted to lieutenant of the North Andover Fire Department.
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
It was part of a real-life training exercise.
If you drove by Osgood Landing Friday, you may have noticed a minivan engulfed in flames in the parking lot. Don't worry, there was no one inside. It was actually a training exercise for firefighters from several communities and state police officers. "Fire investigators and ma state police from around metro boston attended the two day class," said North Andover Fire Investigator Jeff Crosby. "It talked about the numerous causes of car fires (mechanical, electrical, arson), of which a large percentage of are electrical." Check out these photos Crosby sent us from the training.
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
The contract is for three years.
Selectmen unanimously approved a three-year contract with North Andover firefighters Monday night. Similar to the police officers contract approved recently, the firefighters contract gives firefighters a 2.5 percent pay raise for this year (which ends next summer) and a 1.75 percent raise for each of the next two years. "I've always that said if my son falls out of a tree, or my mother has a heart attack, or there's a fire, I want a North Andover firefighter there," Selectman Tracy Watson said. "They're worth their weight in gold." Coincidentally, Watson need firefighters that day. There was a fire at a Woodridge apartment, of which Watson is a manager. The fire was contained and extinguished and no injuries were reported.
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Residents gathered to show their respect.
North Andover had its September 11 memorial ceremony Tuesday morning in front of Town Hall. Members of the Police Department and Fire Department attended, and residents gathered to observe. Jacqueline Foley of North Andover High School sang the National Anthem.
Monday, August 27, 2012
The fire was contained and extinguished.
Firefighters battled a blaze at the Thomson Brothers recycling plant early Saturday morning. Just after midnight, an alarm sounded at the Holt Road pant and two fire trucks rushed to the scene. Lawrence firefighters also came and helped. There were no injuries reported, and the plant's sprinkler system prevented the fire from spreading and causing massive structural damage. After a few hours, the fire was extinguished. Thomson Brothers Industries opened in 2006. The fire is still under investigation.
Friday, August 24, 2012
Crane is a member of the North Andover Fire Department.
Public safety is in Rob Crane's blood. But it took a traumatic moment to bring it to the surface and guide him to his current career as a firefighter. Crane's father, the late John "Dick" Crane, served on the North Andover Police Department for more than 30 years before retiring in 1991. The next year, while out walking with his wife Rita, Dick Crane suffered a massive heart attack. Schneider Electric had donated a new defibrillator to the town, and the Fire Department had just completed training for its use. So in August 1992, 20 years ago this week, Dick Crane became the first person in town saved by the defibrillator. "My dad passed in 2008, but he lived an extra 16 years because of that," Rob Crane said. That set the younger Crane's …