The Planning Board Tuesday night approved the $21 million renovation and expansion project, to be funded by tax-exempt bond financing and fundraising.
"The town of Andover has been very fair and helpful in working with us. We appreciate their due diligence as this is a very significant project for both the Merrimack Valley YMCA and the community," Merrimack Valley YMCA Chief Operating Officer Gary Morelli said in a statement Wednesday.
The Merrimack Valley YMCA Board of Directors approved the project last year.
The project must now go before the Conservation Commission.
The YMCA project will include dramatic changes that will:
- Double its existing aquatics space with the construction of a multipurpose pool
- Double the available space for fitness and group exercise
- Include a new child development center for preschool and school aged children
- Add a new Active Living Center for older adults
- Renovate existing locker rooms
- Add an Active Learning STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Center for youth and teens
- Include space for the Merrimack Valley YMCA’s healthcare partner, Lawrence General Hospital to provide physical therapy and other community based health resources.