Today is Wednesday, Oct. 17. Here are five things you need to know.
- Sunny Day: Temperatures are expected to be in the low 60s most of the day, with clear sunny skies.
- Debate: The 6th District congressional candidates will be in town tonight for a debate from 7 to 8 p.m. at North Andover High School.
- Voting: The deadline to register to vote is today. Information can be found at the Secretary of State's Web site.
- Costume Contests: Patch is having two Halloween costume contests. Upload a Also, upload a photo of your pet in costume and you could win a $50 gift card.
- This Day in History: In 1777, American troops defeated British forces in Saratoga, N.Y., the turning point in the Revolutionary War. In 1888, the first issue of "National Geographic Magazine" was published. In 1973, OPEC began an oil-embargo against several countries including the United States and Great Britain in anger over western support for Israel. In 1979, Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
To find more things to do today, check out our event listings.