Five Things You Need to Know: June 28
Local news to start your day.
Today is Thursday, June 28. Here are five things you need to know:
- Cloudy: Temperatures are expected to be in the low 80s most of the day, with cloudy skies.
- Meetings: The Rotary Club of North Andover Weekly Meeting will be at 7:15 a.m. at The Meadows at Edgewood Retirement Community. The North Andover Housing Authority will meet at 4:45 p.m., also at The Meadows.
- Fourth Festivities: Check out the two-day event the town has planned for Independence Day next week.
- Cheap Gas: Prime Mart has gas at $3.34 a gallon for regular.
- This Day in History: In 1894, Congress made Labor Day a national holiday. In 1778, Mary "Molly Pitcher" Hays McCauley, wife of an American artilleryman, is said to have taken her husband's place at his gun after he was overcome with heat. In 1976, the first women entered the U.S. Air Force Academy. In 1997, Mike Tyson was disqualified for biting Evander Holyfield's ear after three rounds of their heavyweight title fight in Las Vegas.
To find more things to do today, check out our event listings.