Family, Cat Escape Fire on Wood Lane
Two people (and a cat) were treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters have put out a blaze that apparently began in a Wood Lane garage — and produced enough smoke for two people and a cat to be treated for smoke inhalation.
North Andover Fire Chief Andrew Melkinas said his department got the call about 2:15 for a fire at 347 Wood Lane. When his crews arrived, flames were shooting out of a window.
There were three people in the house, all of whom got out safely. Melkinas described them as a grandfather, a grandmother and a grandson in his twenties. The two older people were treated for smoke inhalation, but they declined being taken to a hospital.
Humans weren't the only ones getting treatment. A family cat, Moosha, was also given oxygen.
The chief didn't give a damage estimate. He said the garage had fire and smoke damage while the house itself sustained only smoke damage.
The Department of Health will make a ruling on whether the damage is severe enough to make the house uninhabitable, the chief told Patch.
Fire departments helping put out the blaze included North Andover, Andover, Lawrence and Middleton.